- “As screenwriter, sharer of story credit with Zak Penn and director, Whedon is the key reason why this $220-million behemoth of a movie is smartly thought out and executed with verve and precision.” - Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
- “Much of this battle takes place in midtown Manhattan, where the neatest sequences involve Loki’s ginormous slithering, undulating snake-lizard-dragon machine, which seems almost to have a mind of its own and is backed up by countless snakelings. At one point, an Avenger flies into the mouth of this leviathan and penetrates its entire length, emerging at the business end. You won’t see that in ‘The Human Centipede.’ ” — Roger Ebert, The Chicago Sun Times
- “Like a superior, state-of-the-art model built from reconstituted parts, Joss Whedon’s buoyant, witty and robustly entertaining superhero smash-up is escapism of a sophisticated order.” — Justin Chang, Variety
- “Audiences have been eagerly anticipating this first all-hero extravaganza for years. The wait was worth it.” — Claudia Puig, USA Today
- “The light, amusing bits cannot overcome the grinding, hectic emptiness, the bloated cynicism that is less a shortcoming of this particular film than a feature of the genre.” — A.O. Scott, The New York Times
Who’s going to see The Avengers this weekend? Discuss your thoughts and reviews with us on Twitter!