|Acting for Film Programs||Musical Theatre Programs|
Study Performing Arts at the New York Film AcademyThe Acting for Film and Musical Theatre programs of the world-renowned New York Film Academy comprise a performing arts school unlike any other. Students receive intensive, conservatory style training in acting for film and musical theatre that delivers an array of professional skills to the actor.
Performing arts students work alongside filmmaking, cinematography, producing, and screenwriting students, often forming collaborations which gives them exposure to important elements of the film industry, and enhance their professional training and understanding of film production.
The New York Film Academy welcomes a global population from all experience levels and backgrounds to enroll in the performing arts school’s intensive degree programs and short-term workshops. In addition to intensive performance training, students gain technical knowledge of film as a medium in both storytelling and production.
Offering cutting-edge, industry specific performing arts programs in locations around the world, including New York, Los Angeles, Abu Dhabi, Australia, Italy, and Brazil, the New York Film Academy’s faculty in acting for film and musical theatre comprises a stellar cast of award-winning film, television, and Broadway professionals.
Performing Arts School ProgramsThe performing arts school at the New York Film Academy provides multiple paths for students interested in acting for film and musical theatre to pursue their passion among our many full-time, intensive programs. Be it a four-week workshop at our New York City campus or a degree program offered at our Los Angeles campus, students can engage in their chosen field while making the time commitment that is right for them. Whether it is a short-term workshop or long-term program, students are expected to fully commit themselves to the performing arts school by attending classes, lectures, and demonstrations and working outside of class on film and theater projects with their classmates. In addition, some programs feature master classes in screenwriting, cinematography, producing, directing, and editing to expand students’ knowledge of film production.
Students enrolled in the performing arts school have the unparalleled opportunity to emerge from their program with a well-rounded understanding of not just the principles of acting for film and musical theatre, but also with a firm grasp of the many facets related to filmmaking. Acting for film students and those students in the Two-Year Conservatory Musical Theatre & Film Program have a one-of-a-kind opportunity to work extensively on film sets, not just simply learning the craft that is acting in front of a camera, but also having the opportunity to serve as a member of the film crew, from holding a boom mic to operating a camera and a range of other positions. Students emerge from the performing arts school with the invaluable knowledge of how to handle themselves on a film set and possess an intimate knowledge of the many roles at work, helping them to be much more well-rounded actors who are comfortable acting on a film set.
Acting For Film OverviewThe New York Film Academy’s performing arts school offers a wide array of acting for film programs. Ranging from degree programs to short-term workshops, our courses are designed equally to appeal to individuals of all acting backgrounds and prepare them for the rigors of a career in acting.
Not only will students receive practical film set experience, they’re taught by experienced instructors who have a passion to teach and share their invaluable insights. For those acting for film students who choose to collaborate with our filmmakers or enter collaborative programs, there is an unprecedented opportunity to work simultaneously with filmmaking students and receive maximum film set experience.
- Master of Fine Arts in Acting for Film: A two-year accelerated graduate degree program, the MFA in acting program is offered at our Los Angeles campus where students have the unique opportunity to film scenes on the backlot of Universal Studios while also receiving hands-on in-class instruction to help them develop their craft and navigate the challenges inherent to acting for film. Over the course of the two-year program, students will perform in a number of short films and scenes, learning the arts of directing, screenwriting, and editing to not only help them develop their acting craft, but to also help them assemble a reel of material that they can use in future auditions.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting for Film: Over the course of the three-year BFA in acting program available at our Los Angeles campus, students will not only receive extensive experience in acting in front of a camera, but also complete a core curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences, providing them with a well-rounded education that they can apply to their professional pursuits. Core competencies that students will develop over their eight semesters include creating believable performances across a diverse range of scenes, studying the history of screenwriting, displaying competency in video production techniques, mastering one’s bodily movements, developing a personalized business plan, and synthesizing the various skills learned in the program to create a singular artistic vision.
- Associate of Fine Arts in Acting for Film: Designed for students with a high school diploma or its equivalent who wish to focus solely on acting for film, the four semesters of the AFA program provide an intensive immersion for students looking to pursue a career in acting by focusing solely on their craft. Students receive training in building a solid foundation in the acting craft and then learning how to apply those skills in front of a camera, ultimately assembling an acting reel of short films and scenes that they will be able to use in finding work.
- One-Year Conservatory for Acting Program: Offered at our New York, Los Angeles, Abu Dhabi, Florence, and Gold Coast and Sydney, Australia campuses, the one-year program is an intensive immersion into the world of acting for film. Students hone their acting craft in classes and workshops, with evenings and weekends spent in rehearsal and class or extracurriculuar film shoots. From the program’s first week, students participate in filmed exercises that are reviewed by faculty and students. In addition, students also work on the production of short films and scenes that they create and star in, culminating in footage that allows them to develop their professional reel.
- Two-Year Conservatory for Acting Program: Expanding on the skills and crafts learned in the one-year program, the two-year acting program is held at our New York City campus where students increase their skills in physical characterization, movement, combat for film and character study while gaining additional skills in voiceover and dialect work, culminating in an expanded location shoot on professional grade equipment.
- Short-Term Workshops: For students wishing to obtain an education in acting for film, but are looking for a shorter or part-time commitment, the performing arts school offers a host of short term workshops aimed at preparing aspiring actors for the particular challenges presented by acting in front of a camera. Students interested in making a full-time commitment might find our Four-Week or Eight-Week Acting for Film Workshop a fantastic introduction while those unable to make a full-time commitment should look into our Twelve-Week Evening Workshop. The New York Film Academy’s performing arts school is committed to offering students the right program or workshop to fit their particular needs.
Musical Theatre OverviewThe musical theatre programs at New York Film Academy’s performing arts school have been designed to cater to students with varying levels of previous experience. There is an audition process for our Musical Theatre programs, so you are required to have singing and some dancing ability. Students can expect a rigorous course schedule, which includes an extensive introduction to the necessary skills and preparation that will be expected to meet the demands that come with a career in musical theatre. In addition, students in the performing arts school will work with a world-class faculty of professional actors who have appeared in Broadway musicals, touring productions, television, and more.
Students have the option to apply to the Four-Week Musical Theatre Workshop, One-Year Conservatory Workshop, or the 2-Year Conservatory Musical Theatre & Film. All Four-Week Workshop attendees are eligible to further their education and audition for our One and Two-Year Conservatory programs.
- One-Year Conservatory Musical Theatre Program: Requiring the same level of intensity and commitment as our Acting for Film programs, the One-Year Conservatory Musical Program is a two-semester program held in the heart of musical theatre, New York City. Students interested in the program should possess singing and movement abilities, but do not require previous experience as they will spend each of the two semesters learning and rehearsing musical numbers that they will perform for their classmates and instructors at the end of each semester.
- Two-Year Conservatory Musical Theatre & Film Program: Building on the fundamentals and skills learned in the One-Year Musical Theatre Program, the two-year program combines the Musical Theatre School with coursework from the Film School in order to explore and attain a mastery of movie musicals. In addition to the mastery of voice and movement learned in the one-year program, the second year allows students the chance to receive an education students in all facets of filmmaking, from learning how to operate a camera, light a scene, and edit a film in addition to understanding how all the different disciplines in filmmaking relate to one another. Building on their existing acting and singing skills, students learn how to apply their vocal instruments to successfully perform the technical, emotional, and physical work required for film acting.
- Four-Week Musical Theatre Workshop: Intended as a comprehensive introduction into the world of musical theatre, the performing art school’s four-week workshop is an intensive, full-time program designed to give students the essential skills necessary for extraordinary musical theatre performances. The workshop often serves as a gateway for many of the students who are so excited by the program that they go on to apply to our one- and two-year programs.