New York Film Academy (NYFA) is accepting applications for 2022 One-Year Conservatory, MFA and Short programs in Documentary Filmmaking.
The 1-Year Conservatory in Documentary Filmmaking is the flagship program of NYFA’s Documentary Filmmaking Division.
- Learn to make films by making films.
- One-year intensive and extremely hands-on.
- Award-winning filmmakers teach new filmmakers through workshops, lectures and real-time mentoring as students make their own films.
- Make 6 short nonfiction films and digital media pieces and develop a TV series.
- Faculty work has won and been nominated for multiple Academy Awards and Emmy Awards, among many top honors.
- Alumni have won an Emmy Award and been nominated for Emmy and Academy Awards. They have been honored at major film festivals around the world including Sundance, Cannes, Berlin and Toronto Film Festivals.
Graduates of a short term NYFA Documentary Workshop
- NYFA Documentary Workshop tuition is deducted from Conservatory Tuition.
- Films made in the workshop can be submitted as part of an application for a Talent Based Award.
Professionals ready to pivot and finally pursue their documentary dreams
Alumni include former teachers, journalists, military veterans, researchers, anthropologists, and motion picture professionals of various stripes. Others have had jobs in international development, technology, criminal justice, and higher education, among many others.
- College aged students who aren’t ready to start college can spend a year making documentary films.
Alternative to college
- Some students choose the Conservatory over traditional academics.
- Single intensive year vs multi-year investment.
- Focus solely on the practice of non-fiction filmmaking.
- Make a movie, change the world (a little bit).
- Alumni have used documentaries and nonfiction content to create real change.
- Because the world is awesome and documentary filmmaking can be an exceptional passport.
- Many fiction filmmakers got started by making documentaries.
- Others move back and forth between the two.
Graduates of a different discipline
- Students have come with degrees in business, social sciences, journalism, psychology, international studies, the arts, health sciences, and information technology, just to name a few.
- Some use documentaries to share their vocation with a broader audience.
- Others want an additional area of expertise.
MFA in Documentary Filmmaking
- Apply to our 2-Year degree program offered on the Los Angeles campus.
- Our intensive curriculum prepares candidates with advanced knowledge about independent documentary filmmaking.
- Apply for credits from a New York City 1-year non-degree program for advanced standing in the MFA program.
- Fall ’22 is the next start date for the second year.
6-Week Documentary Filmmaking Workshops
- Start dates slated for February, May, July and September.
- Introduction to the basics of Documentary Filmmaking.
- Created for students who can’t take a year off for the Conservatory.
- Some try out a workshop and before the Conservatory.
- Graduates of Online Workshops who want an intensive, live experience.
Online Documentary Filmmaking Workshops
4-Week Intensive Online Programs in Documentary Filmmaking/Social Media Micro Docs
- Start dates slated for January 10th, March 7th, May 9th, June 6th, July 5th, August 1st, and September 6th.
- Introduction to the basics of Documentary Filmmaking & Micro Docs.
- Created for students who aren’t able to travel to NYC for an in-person program.
- Learn how to use your smartphone to shoot 3 documentary films or micro docs.
15-Week Part Time Online Programs in Documentary Filmmaking/Social Media Micro Docs
- Start dates slated for January 10th, May 2nd and August 29th
- Introduction to the basics of Documentary Filmmaking & Micro Docs
- Created for students who aren’t able to travel to NYC for an in-person program
- Learn how to use your smartphone to shoot 3 documentary films or micro docs