This Women’s History Month, which also includes International Women’s Day on March 8, the New York Film Academy joins the conversation on gender inclusivity with an updated Gender Inequality in Film Infographic as well as a full slate of events across its campus locations.
From International Women’s Day industry panel events to film screenings and raffles, check out NYFA’s calendar of Women’s History Month activities, below, and join us on campus in Los Angeles, New York City, South Beach, and NYFA Australia, Gold Coast. And on social media, we’ll be shouting out to many of the Women of NYFA — alums who are doing incredible work in the community, in the entertainment industry, and beyond.
New York Film Academy Women’s History Month events will include:
MARCH 7 – Stand Up for Women Comedy Night
- Lisa deLarios – Lisa has toured the country featuring for Zach Galifianakis, Paul F. Tompkins, Anthony Jeselnik, and Maria Bamford among others. She was showcased on Comedy Central’s Live at Gotham and has been a frequent guest on Doug Loves Movies.
- Laura House – Laura is a headlining comedian who has performed on HBO, Comedy Central, NBC, and starred in MTV’s Austin Stories. She written on the Emmy-winning shows Mom and Samantha Who, BAFTA-winning Secret Lives of Boys, as well as Nicole Byer’s Loosely, Exactly, Nicole, The George Lopez Show, Mad Love, Blue Collar TV & more.
- Jackie Kashian – Jackie is a comic whose new album, I Am Not The Hero Of This Story, was the #1 comedy album on iTunes and Amazon. She is in the 12th year of her podcast The Dark Forest and has a new podcast on the Nerdist Network called The Jackie and Laurie Show.
- Jena Friedman – Jena is a comedian, writer, filmmaker and political satirist who recently appeared on Conan. Her Adult Swim special Soft Focus with Jena Friedman aired in February. She has been a field producer at The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and has written for Late Show with David Letterman.
- Annie Lederman – Annie was the co-host of We Have Issues on E! and has been a cast member on Chelsea Lately, Girl Code, @midnight, and Impractical Jokers.
- Kate Willett – Kate tours nationally and internationally, has been featured on Viceland’s Flophouse and Comedy Central’s This is Not Happening, and recently taped a Netflix special.
- Vanessa Gonzalez – Vanessa was recently voted “Best Stand-up Comic” in the Austin Chronicle readers’ poll, and created and stars in the Mas Mejor web series Ms. Vanessa.
- Jessica Sele– Jessica is a stand-up comedian who tours across the country, and has performed at the Bridgetown Comedy Festival and SF Sketchfest. She was written about in HuffPost.
- Ellington Wells – Ellington is a filmmaker and comedian who hosts the monthly stand-up show Blackberry Jam, and has worked on television shows such as Insecure, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Baskets.
March 8 – International Women’s Day: A Perspective on Women in Entertainment: Industry Panel Discussion
- Mike Civille
- Lydia Cedrone
- Dea Lawrence – CMO of Variety
- Kelly Gilmore – Sr. VP Marketing at Warner Bros.
- Barbara Bain – 3 time Emmy Winning Actress
- Jeanette Collins – Producer/Writer: Big Love, Drop Dead Diva, Suddenly Susan
- Winship Cook – Producer: K-19: The Widowmaker, Sound the Crossing,Family Plan
- Valorie Massalas – Casting Director/Producer: Back to the Future 2 & 3, Indiana Jones, Total Recall
- Ronnie Yeskel – Casting Director: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Elvi Cano – Executive Director EGEDA U.S.
- Lisa Guerriero – Camera operator: Suicide Squad, Mad Men, Mission Impossible, Fight Club
New York City
FEB. 28, 6:30 PM EST – Heroin(e) SCREENING & Guest Speaker Event
- Exclusive screening of Oscar-nominated Netflix short documentary Heroin(e) with the film’s editor and special guest lecturer Kristen Nutile.
MARCH 5-6 – Women’s International Film Festival Raffle
- A gaggle of lucky NYFA students will win raffle tickets to attend the opening night of the Women’s International Film Festival.
TBD – NYFA Women in Film Screening Series
- Further details coming soon.
MARCH 21 – Women in VR: Chat with Vice Chair of the Producers’ Guild of America New Media Council & NYFA Instructor Caitlin Burns
- Further details coming soon.
March 21 – NYFA Women in Film Screening and Q&A
- A screening of the 2016 drama Hidden Figures
- A Q&A led by South Beach Filmmaking chair Maylen Dominguez
March 21 – NYFA Women in Film Industry Panel
- An all-woman panel featuring Rhonda Mitrani, Susie Taylor, Maha McCain, Elli Ventouras, and Giorgia Lo Savio
NYFA Australia, Gold Coast
March 8 – International Women’s Day Film Series
- A screening series of films focused on female protagonists, including The Color Purple, Joy, Thelma & Louise, and Whip It.