The Sundance Film Festival is one of the premier film festivals that takes place annually in Utah. If you’re a documentary filmmaker, this is where you want to premiere and showcase your film. The New York Film Academy is proud to announce that several members of the Documentary department — including faculty and students — will be representing NYFA this winter at Sundance!
- Starting off with NYFA graduate, Muhammed Hamdy, who will be premiering We Are The Giant, in which he was the cinematographer. Hamdy accepted the Audience Award last year for his work on The Square, which is now on the Oscar’s short list for Best Documentary Feature.
- Master Class Faculty professor, Tony Gerber will be showcasing his film, The Notorious Mr. Bout (in competition).
- (Credited Graduates: Camera Operator and Production Coordinator, Todd Leatherman; Production Coordinator, Ilaria Polsonetti; and Production Assistants, Lena Vasiliou, JR Cronheim, Daphne Yaeger-Ostendorf, Katarina Strazdig, Mark Craig and Gaby Lozada)
- Master Class Faculty professor, Hilla Medalia is also in the mix with her film, Web Junkie (in competition).
- (Credited grads: Francesca Pagani, Production Assistant and Andrea Blake, Production Intern) Graduate, Andrea Blake, is credited as Production Coordinator on CHICAGOLAND, an 8-part CNN Documentary series Executive Produced by Robert Redford. She is also credited as Production Intern on Life Itself, a film about Roger Ebert, directed by Steve James (Hoop Dreams).
- Finally, graduate Todd Leatherman crewed on the fiction feature, Obvious Child, which was selected for Sundance’s NEXT section.
Best of luck to all of our NYFA members representing us at Sundance!