Learn How to Make a Documentary Film at NYFA
During NYFA’s 1-Year Documentary Filmmaking Certificate program, available at our NYFA New York and Los Angeles campuses, students receive a rigorous, hands-on education in non-fiction filmmaking.
Learning under the guidance of experienced professionals, students develop the production, research, story development, interviewing, writing, cinematography, sound recording, and editing skills that support a well-rounded education in documentary film production.
Students create a substantial amount of their own short films throughout the program, such as the Observational Film, Character Film, and Social Issue Film. As this is an intensive program, it is the best fit for individuals looking to create their own non-fiction films or students considering furthering their education in documentary filmmaking.
The curriculum of the 1-Year Documentary Filmmaking Certificate program includes:
- Intensive coursework and workshops in topics such as Documentary Craft, Camera, Lighting and Sound, Producing, Editing, and Writing
- Instruction and critique from faculty with extensive experience in documentary filmmaking and non-fiction storytelling
- An opportunity to work and study in an environment that mirrors a professional setting
- Access to an equipment library where students may borrow professional-grade cameras, lighting kits, and more
- Guest lectures with influential filmmakers, photographers, cinematographers, directors, and more
To learn more, check out NYFA’s Course Catalogs or request more information.
This documentary filmmaking program in New York City is a conservatory-based, full-time, two semester program. In Los Angeles, the program is three semesters and takes place over the course of one academic year.
In this program, each student makes six documentary projects of increasing difficulty. With each new film project, students get an opportunity to refine and improve the quality of their work, gradually developing their unique creative voice. For a full list of projects the one-year students complete, see our projects page.
Students can choose to enroll in NYFA’s 1-Year Documentary Filmmaking Certificate program in New York City or Los Angeles.
Please note: Equipment, curriculum, and projects are subject to change and may vary depending on location. Students should consult the most recently published campus catalog for the most up-to-date curriculum.