Federal Financial Aid: How to Apply

How To Apply For Federal Financial Aid at NYFA

All applications for Federal and State funds begin by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA. The FAFSA Application is signed by students and parents using a Federal Student Aid Identification (FSA ID) and password.

  1. To register for a Federal Student Aid Identification (FSA ID) and password with the U.S. Dept. of Education please use the following Direct Link to Create an FSA Account.
  2. All contributors providing information on the FAFSA must also establish an FSA/ID and password. A contributor is any individual required to provide and consent to the FAFSA form, including the student; the student’s spouse; a biological or adoptive parent or the parent’s spouse (stepparent). Please contact the Financial Aid Office at NYFA for guidance on who should contribute information on your FAFSA.
  3. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It’s the first step and is required for all the New York Film Academy aid programs. The FAFSA is available online Direct Link to the FAFSA.

The FAFSA code for The New York Film Academy is 041188.

Submit the FAFSA as soon as possible, the FAFSA application will import all Federal Tax Information (FTI) for you and your contributors. Your FAFSA will not be valid until you and your contributors have agreed to transfer FTI directly from the IRS. 

  1. Watch for an email from the U.S. Department of Education that will have a link to your Student Aid Report (SAR) which should arrive a few days after you submit the FAFSA online. If necessary, submit corrections as instructed on the SAR.
  2. Investigate other sources of aid. These sources include scholarships from community, labor and service organizations, among others. Keep a file of records and copies of applications for future reference. Keep your College Financing Plans.
  3. Contact The financial aid office for answers and advice. The hours of operation are from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday through Friday.
  4. Remember, to receive financial aid you must be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program and maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). Financial aid funds may be used only for education-related expenses. For most programs, you must be registered at least half-time. You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.

To learn more about the GI Bill and Veteran Benefits, visit NYFA’s GI Bill page.