Locations: New York City, Los Angeles
From “Jurassic World” to “Finding Dory,” 3D animation is more popular than ever. Feature-length CGI cartoons are breaking box office records, and the future is full of possibilities. Our 4-Week 3D Animation Camp for teens allows aspiring animators to jump into an exciting field as they write, animate, direct, and edit their own computer-animated short films.
The New York Film Academy has designed our hands-on and intensive 4-Week 3D Animation Camp to give students a foundation in the tools and know-how they need to grow as animators. From working with the industry-standard, Oscar-winning Maya software to developing their storytelling craft through classes in acting, directing, storyboarding, and screenwriting, campers receive a fantastic introduction to the field and practice of 3D animation.
4-Week 3D Animation Summer Camp Preparation
The camp is designed for students with little or no experience in animation. 3D animation demands extraordinary focus and discipline and studio art or computer experience will help.
4-Week 3D Animation Summer Camp Format
NYFA’s 4-Week 3D Animation Camp teaches the principles of animation (i.e. movement, timing, weight, character development, etc.) using a professional animation pipeline. Campers are introduced to Maya software and progress through basic modeling, motion, and rendering exercises en route to the completion of a short animated film (with sound) of their own design.
3D Animation Topics
Students in the 4-Week 3D Animation Camp for teens will cover the following topics:
- Modeling: Building objects and creatures from primitive shapes, polygonal modeling, and/or sculpting with curves and points
- Motion: Animating the objects and creatures you model using key frames, path and shape animation, simulation, deformation, and f-curves
- Character construction: Creating skeletons, attaching skins, weighting envelopes, and inverse kinematics
- Color and texture: Creating, importing, and applying multiple textures to objects/creatures; defining color, reflectivity, and transparency
- Rendering: Lights, camera, compiling movies, adding sound
In addition to the 3D topics they study, students also learn the following animation topics:
- Weight and Secondary Action
- Squash and Stretch
- Rubber Hose, Full, and Limited Animation
- Character Design
- Exaggeration vs. Subtlety
- Music and SFX Composition
- Sound-image Relationship
Students will receive a New York Film Academy certificate and a copy of their work upon the successful completion of the camp.
Click here to learn more about the application process.
Please note that curriculum, dates, and prices are open to change.